Happy 4th of July Weekend (from the US) Planeswalkers!
This month I am featuring an extremely robust list! Literally 50+ decks that we have seen in action over the course of the Strixhaven Standard Meta. Insane, yes, and some nice options for those of you looking to play some competitive decks as well as interesting things. I also wish each of you the best luck in your pursuits here down to the wire for June Season end.
As always the article is below, along with observations, trends, and the list! Enjoy! As always appreciate your comments below, and feel free to hop on thed Discord server as well!
Strixhaven May Standard BO1 & BO3 Article / Video
Strixhaven April Standard BO1 & BO3 Article / Video
Mystical Archives May Historic BO1 & BO3 Article / Video
*Note New Historic Tier List coming!
Friday Night Meta – Weekly Series
June Week 4 (Article, Youtube)
June Week 3 (Article, Youtube)
June Week 2 (Article, Youtube)
June Week 1 (Article, Youtube)
I pull these lists together to help give us an alternative competitive angle, as well as trends, with a nice little timestamp as I believe being competitive there is a long term knowledge angle we need to take as well 🙂
Additionally, I like to provide a competitive MTGA Landscape, those who like a visual or just to discuss! You can find the observations along with the tier list below. Please share your thoughts as always, and feel free to comment on the new format or decks I should consider that I missed.
TLDR: A lot of the Meta has stayed intact, healthy, and we continue to see the power of the Throne of Eldraine. Dragons have cooled off a bit, and we got a pretty big meta impact with Jeskai Mutate. Looking forward to the new Forgotten Realms DnD Drops!
What it is, current meta observations, and deck overviews! Additionally I love sharing the observations and recent changes we have faced in an ever evolving fast paced format.
Items of Interest & Considerations:
- Let’s Go On an Adventure – Many top decks still remain to be our favorite Adventure Archetype based from Throne of Eldraine. When I say everyone’s favorite I mean, couldn’t rotation come any faster kind of a thing. I know many of you are fatigued and I hear it all the time.
- Much greater Strixhaven interaction- This past month as we expanded the list there were a ton of cool decks I was able to take a look at. All with various levels of competitive play, and usually landing in a Mid T2 to T3 is what I have found after doing these lists for almost a year plus now. The key thing is they are still competitive, and could get you there. One trend I really enjoyed was the tribal trend this month: Angels, Clerics, Elves, and Humans to name a few.
- Comboland – The one deck that definitely rose to the top this month was Jeskai Mutate. It had a great showing at the Strixhaven Championship, and had an impact on top 8 meta at large following. It remained and still is a strong competitor in the Mythic space. This was a fun one to track in the Friday Night Meta videos. Nice to see something making a broader Meta impact this late into the set. It definitely was there, and had been for a while hitting #1 on the ladder last season as well. However, getting some additional spotlight certainly helped.
- Goldspan Cooling – There are two key things I wanted to call out here. The first being the cooling off from the meteoric rise of Izzet Dragons. The second was the shift away from some initial decks that crammed Goldspan in. Enter Mono Red Aggro. I wanted to highlight this as something to note again as we begin to put on our brewers hats and move forward to the new set coming out here in the next few weeks.
Don’t get me wrong, Goldspan is still a powerhouse!
- Forgotten Realm – The spoilers and new set is not lost on me! Looking forward to the new mechanics and cards we have seen and will continue to see. Please comment below if you would like to see additional content from me on spoilers and what not. Always open to feedback.
In short, looking forward to all the DRAGONS, and obviously hopeful we get more than 3x dungeons. Should be an interesting way to interact with decks, as well as the stack.
Stay safe my friends!
What goes into this list?
For returners or those that are new I have been asked before on how I pull these together as well. BO1 is a slightly different beast vs. BO3. Here I rely heavier on win rate stats at very competitive levels starting at Mythic then work my way backwards through the tiers if needed for additional POVs. It is also based on gameplay – and I myself favor BO1 until I usually hit Top 1500 🙂 – I take into consideration untapped.ggs companion app stats as they tend to have a great amount of data, and a good ability to slice and dice decks. One additional call out again is due to the vastness of decks or newest additions not all data is readily available so for the gaps I try to expand where I can via experience, tournaments, and other data driven sites available.
BO3 has much broader impacts when it comes to data. You can find all the sources, experiences, and information I take into consideration in the Additional info spot.
THANK YOU & Additional Info
I have produced this list from a culmination of a few things. I have reached this point by pulling together research data from multiple sources like untapped, MTGAzone, Aetherhub, twitter, personal gameplay, tournament matches, this reddit as well as others, personal stats, and consistently hitting Mythic over the last year and participation in the last Mythic Qualifier.
Again, Happy to discuss or talk about decks not included! Feel free to hop in the Multiverse Discord Server. Tier list below plus deck lists (shells – tweak to your heart’s content) if you are looking for some options most all top 1500 at some point many at the #1 Rank, and multiple top end tournament results!
One last thought I would like to share: If you have a competitive deck (different than one featured) I am always happy to do a piece on it time permitting. I have several folks that ask, and have done several player featured decks. I rather enjoy this so please don’t hesitate to reach out or ask. I always try to prioritize with the following and timing or relevance – MTGA Rank (1500s)/Top Tournaments down to Plat2Mythic Decks.
If you would like to do a collaboration feel free to reach out as well.
Note: Decklists same for both BO1 & BO3 – Mainboard is for Best of One
MTGA Standard BO1 June 2021 Tier List (50+ Decks!)
Tier 1 (11)
Mono White Lifegain (Deck Link)
Boros Winota (Deck Link)
Mono White Snow Aggro (Deck Link)
Mono Red Snow Aggro (Deck Link)
Jeskai Cycle (Deck Link)
Dimir Lurrus Rogues (Deck Link)
Mono Black Auras (Deck Link)
Naya Winota (Deck Link)
Izzet Dragons (Deck Link)
Gruul Adventures (Deck Link)
Magda Gruul (Deck Link)
Tier 2 (23)
Temur Adventures (Deck Link)
Mono Green Stompy (Deck Link)
Sultai Ultimatum (Deck Link)
Naya Jegantha Tokens (Deck Link)
Rakdos Rogues (Deck Link)
Rakdos Sacrifice (Deck Link)
Jeskai Mutate (Deck Link)
Esper Yorion Doom (Deck Link)
Orzhov Humans (Deck Link)
Sultai Yorion Control (Deck Link)
Sultai Titans Nest (Deck Link)
Dimir Yorion Control (Deck Link)
Temur Lukka (Deck Link)
Esper Control (Deck Link)
Rakdos Midrange (Deck Link)
Sultai Snow (Deck Link)
Mardu Midrange (Deck Link)
Simic Jadzi (Deck Link)
Orzhov Lifegain (Deck Link)
Rakdos Menace (Deck Link)
Orzhov Clerics (Deck Link)
Mono White Angels (Deck Link)
Boros Knights (Deck Link)
Tier 3 (20)
Izzet Spells (Deck Link)
Azorius Magecraft (Deck Link)
Selesnya Counters (Deck Link)
Orzhov Magecraft (Deck Link)
Golgari Elves (Deck Link)
Izzet Zirda Spells (Deck Link)
Golgari Midrange Poison (Deck Link)
Simic Ramp (Deck Link)
Jund Magecraft (Deck Link)
Mono White Enchantments (Deck Link)
Mono Blue Snow Control (Deck Link)
Azorius Blink (Deck Link)
Jeskai Transmogrify (Deck Link)
Mono Black Lifegain (Deck Link)
Mono Black Devotion (Deck Link)
Selesnya Magecraft (Deck Link)
Mardu Breach (Deck Link)
Azorius Fliers (Deck Link)
Azorius Auras (Deck Link)
MTGA Standard BO3 June 2021 Tier List (50+ Decks!)
Tier 1 (11)
Mono White Snow Aggro
Mono Red Snow Aggro
Dimir Lurrus Rogues
Naya Jegantha Tokens
Tier 2 (21)
Sultai Yorion Control
Dimir Yorion Control
Esper Yorion Doom
Mono Green Stompy
Sultai Titans Nest
Mono White Lifegain
Mono White Angels
Mono Blue Snow Control
Mono Black Auras
Tier 3 (23)
Izzet Zirda Spells
Mono White Enchantments
Golgari Midrange Poison
Mono Black Auras
Mono Black Devotion
Mono Black Lifegain
I hope you enjoyed this slice of competitive Magic the Gathering on Arena or if you are lucky right now in paper. Thank you for your time, and feedback is always welcome! As previously mentioned happy to discuss deck choices, decks, and lists as always!